Björn Friborg is a Scandinavian glass artist with fascinating artistic range. He disrespects the fragile material and examines what the glassbody can handle and express. He tortures and abuses the historically asserted perfection and challenges the nostalgic beauty of the material. And the result is somewhat fantastic. On August 20th, his digital exhibition opens at nipa.ax.
In the spring of 2020, Björn Friborg's studio has been involved in the Swedish Kingdom's Crystal and the recently restored Holmegaard Works near Copenhagen in Denmark. And at the same time he has planned his digital exhibition at the Nordic Institute on Åland (NIPÅ). Glass art has been something that NIPÅ has not been able to show so much over the years. Now our new, more or less digital world is opening up possibilities and Friborg is planning for a surprise in the digital glass exhibition at nipa.ax. It will include a video film about his artwork production, directly from the glass workshop. You will feel the heat, through the screen.
About Björn Friborg
Björn Friborg, was born in 1983 in Herning, Denmark. He is a glass artist whose artistic range varies from process-based sculptural works to creation onsite.
Friborg is educated in glass crafts in Sweden and also studied at the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts, and at schools for architecture, design and conservation in Denmark.
He disrespectfully examines the delicate material and pushes the boundaries. Through his constant penetration of the glass body in a process-based manner, he tortures and abuses the historical perfection and challenges the nostalgic beauty of the material.
Friborg takes up the constant war with the material and tries to gain control by losing it at the same time. Through his artistic expression he wants to focus on the corpus incognitus, the hole, the scar, but also the opening, the origin, the birth of something new, which always balances on the verge of collapse.
Friborg has been involved in various contemporary projects in different countries and has exhibited in galleries and museums in the USA, Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Britain.
In June 2020, Crown Princess Mary in Denmark was delighted to receive one of Björn's works of art, for her private art collection.
Björn Friborg is presented in
- Costa Glass School 2003 - 2006
- Åfors Glasbruk, V.1 Mästare Ingvar Carlsson “Kalle Pack” 2006 - 2009
- BFA The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts Schools for Architecture, Design and Conservation 2010 - 2013
- British Glass Biennale, Boda Builders, 2019
- Abstracts & Narratives, Bo Knutsson, Stockholm, 2018
- Vessel Gallery, London, 2018
- Harbour Front Center, Toronto, 2018
- Kraft, Galleri Jeanette Ölund, Borås. 2018
- Ung svensk form, svensk / internationell 2018
- Young Glass, danskt / internationellt 2017 - 2018
- Scandinavian Glass, från början, 2017
- Glassyke, S12, Norge 2017
- WORK, The Glassery, Stockholm 2016
- En lysande sextett, Galleri Jeanette Ölund, Borås 2016
(Photo: Hans Runesson)